I had a lot of time to reflect on life and training and everything this week. The 2nd half of the week all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and drink Manhattans due to being emotionally drained. BUT I reminded myself that I have goals and that once I worked out I could sit on the couch and have Manhattans because doing nothing is a waste of my valuable time. Looking back, I'm really happy I went to the gym instead of sitting on the couch watching TV (except I rarely watch TV anyways) because doing nothing would open up the doors to rationalizing baling on more workouts- much like binging on food- how one day of indulgent eating "just this once" can turn into a week.
Tuesday: 16 miles cycled
Wednesday: 13 miles cycled, 2 mile run
Thursday: 7 mile run- 8x400's
Friday: 6 mile run
Saturday: 10 mile run- 4 with the pup
Sunday: 22 mile cycle, 4 mile run
Total: 80 miles for 7:21:29
Running: 29 miles for 3:56:29
Cycling: 51 miles for 3:25
January Totals: 334.83 miles for 30:45:08
Swimming: 2.44 miles, 1:29:19
Cycling: 232 miles, 15:42:45
Running: 100.39 miles, 13:33:04
Overall I feel good about the January numbers-
- I only swam 2x, but given the weather and that I have to cycle to the pool, I know I'll be able to go more frequently as the weather warms up.
- I haven't cycled outside in a while, but again the weather is to blame.
- I was really happy with how I felt running- the speedwork is starting to feel comfortably hard instead of full of dread.
- I'm down 5+lbs for the month which I know has a direct correlation to feeling much better while running. Reducing alcohol intake, cooking most of my meals at home (with nutritious recipes from the Racing Weight cookbook), and all of the workouts + strength stuff have made this possible. No big secret there.
CB was super sweet this week.
- Continue to increase strength training
- Tweak my training plan- I found I had rest days on build up or peak weeks but not on cutbacks.. This week i'll correct that and also fix some other inconsistencies.
- Make a better plan for running speedwork- currently i'm winging it each time. I need to at least have something more structured- including a possible choice between two workouts- like 400's or 800's.